Toxin treatment (also known as wrinkle-relaxing injections) is one of the most common and straightforward aesthetic procedures, but you still need to follow aftercare advice to get the best, longest-lasting results possible. So, what should and shouldn’t you do?
- Exercise until the next day. If you raise your pulse rate by exercising in the first 24 hours after treatment, you’ll get more bruising and swelling around the sites of injection than you would have otherwise had. But you’re fine to do gentle exercise that isn’t going to raise your pulse rate – walking somewhere isn’t going to do you any harm.
- Wear make-up or touch your face for 24 hours. You want to avoid rubbing the face or dragging the skin so as not to disperse the toxin around the face. Plus, the injection sites should be kept clean until fully calmed.
- Drink alcohol. Give it 24 hours before consuming alcohol both before and after your toxin appointment – like vigorous exercise, it increases the risk of bruising.
- Lie down for 4 hours. Stay upright for at least four hours to prevent excessive swelling. This also stops the toxin migrating to other parts of the face and causing muscle weakness in those areas – a rare side effect, but still possible.
- Go about your day as normal (within reason). There’s a lot of discussion online about what may ‘shift the toxins from the injected area’, but we know from scientific studies that toxin moves into the nerve endings within 5-10 minutes of injection, so it’s not going to get pushed around by wearing moving your face and head normally.
- Perform facial movements. Facial exercises have been said to improve the speed of toxins taking its effect by about one day. This hasn’t been concretely proven but ask your practitioner for their opinion and advice on what movements could help.
Find an expert practitioner for your wrinkle-relaxing injections here.
Join Our Mailing List
This is the best way to stay in the loop with our latest news and updates, including industry titbits and tailored offers.
What’s it like to try the Emsella Chair?
You’ve heard me talking before about the Emsella chair – I love it because of the way it quickly...
My Tweakments Wishlist 2024
So many tweakments, so little time… You might very well think that I’ve done quite enough to my...
The RF Needling For Saggy Eyelids
A new brand of RF microneedling, did you say? A bit of a game-changer? The most popular type of RF needling...
Where To Find The Best Advice From TTG’s Leading Practitioners
Have a burning question about tweakments and/or skincare? Premium spots for The Tweakments Guide Live may...