Why might you be interested in Restylane Kysse?
As we grow older, and our bodies produce less collagen and elastin, our lips naturally lose some of their volume. Our lips become thinner, and fine lines and wrinkles develop around them, such as the short vertical lines often called ‘lipstick lines’ and the ‘marionette lines’ that run down from the corners of the mouth to the chin. Treatment with Restylane Kysse can restore lost volume to your lips, reducing or even eliminating lines and wrinkles.
If your lips are naturally thin, you need not wait for your lips to lose volume. Restylane Kysse treatment can increase your lip volume, giving your lips greater presence on your face.
Why is Restylane Kysse exciting?
Restylane Kysse offers fast and effective results from a tweakment that you can easily fit into your busy schedule.
How does a Restylane Kysse treatment work?
During your initial consultation, the practitioner learns what your goals from the treatment are; evaluates your lips for the treatment; and works out how much filler will be needed, where they will place it, and what the cost will be.
On the day of the treatment, the practitioner applies a topical anaesthetic cream to your lips to numb them. Once the cream has taken effect, the practitioner injects the Restylane Kysse filler into the appropriate parts of your lips using very fine needles. Some practitioners may use a cannula — a wider tube — rather than needles.
How long do the results last?
The results of Restylane Kysse typically last around 9 to 12 months. After that, you may need a touch-up treatment to maintain your results.
Is a Restylane Kysse treatment painful?
Treatment with Restylane Kysse usually involves mild to moderate discomfort. To reduce the pain you experience, the practitioner typically numbs your lips with anaesthetic cream before performing the injections.
The Restylane Kysse filler also includes lidocaine, a local anaesthetic, which further decreases the discomfort of the injections.
Where can Restylane Kysse be used?
Restylane Kysse is used primarily in the lip area and in the ‘perioral area’ (the medical term for ‘the area around the mouth’).
While Kysse is best known as a filler for lip augmentation, practitioners also use it for purposes such as the following:
- Smooth out vertical lip lines. These are the short vertical lines sometimes called ‘lipstick lines’ or ‘smokers’ lines’.
- Minimise ‘marionette lines’. These are the lines that run down from the corners of your mouth to your chin.
- Reduce downturned mouth corners. These corners are sometimes called commissures, the line where the upper lip and lower lip meet.
Who is suitable for a Restylane Kysse treatment?
Suitable candidates for treatment with Restylane Kysse are either men or women who want to:
- Restore or increase volume in their lips
- Reduce or eliminate fine lines and wrinkles around the mouth area
How long does the treatment take?
A treatment with Restylane Kysse typically takes between 30 and 60 minutes, including the time for topical anaesthetic to take effect.
How quickly can you see results?
Immediately after the treatment, you will see an increase in lip volume and the change in the shape that you and the practitioner planned. But bear in mind that you may some experience some bruising and swelling for a few days. Until the bruising and swelling subside, you may find it difficult to judge the effect of the treatment.
After several days to a week, you will see the treatment’s effect more clearly as your lips settle into their final shape.
At what age can you get Restylane Kysse?
There is no specific legal minimum age in the UK for getting lip fillers, but practitioners may require patients to be 18 or older in order to understand the risks and benefits of treatment and make informed decisions.
In the USA, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on 9 April 2020 approved Restylane Kysse as a lip filler for use in patients 21 years and older.
How much does a Restylane Kysse treatment cost?
The cost of Restylane Kysse treatment varies considerably depending on the amount of filler used in the treatment. Treatment using 0.5 millilitre (ml) costs from £250 upward, but most treatments use considerably more than this much filler and so cost correspondingly more.
The treatment cost also varies by practitioner and by location. Some practitioners may offer discounts for follow-up treatments.
Are there side effects from Restylane Kysse?
As with any dermal fillers, treatment with Restylane Kysse may have some side effects, but they are usually mild and pass quickly.
The side effects you are most likely to experience are:
- Swelling at injection points. Swelling usually subsides within a few days.
- The injections may also cause bruising. This normally clears up within a week.
- The treated area may be sore for a day or so. Try not to rub it.
- You may feel small lumps around the injection points. These normally smooth out after a few days; if not, consult your practitioner.
If you experience other side effects, contact your practitioner for advice.
What is the aftercare advice following a Restylane Kysse treatment?
After having Restylane Kysse treatment, follow any specific advice your practitioner gives you about recovery.
Generally, you should treat your lips and mouth area as gently as possible. Follow these five Do’s:
- Do avoid touching the treated area for several hours after treatment.
- Do give the Kysse injections time to settle rather than testing your range of lip and mouth movement.
- Do apply ice packs if needed to reduce swelling. Wrap the ice pack in a cloth rather than applying it directly to your skin.
- Do wash and dry your face as gently as possible for at least five days. If you shave, do so gently.
- Do skip your make-up, moisturiser, and other skin products for at least the first 24 hours, and preferably longer.
Follow these three Don’ts too:
- Don’t sunbathe for at least 24 hours after the treatment.
- Don’t exercise vigorously for the first 24 to 48 hours after the treatment.
- Don’t use a sauna, hot tub, or Turkish bath for two to three days after the treatment.
Who are lip fillers not suitable for?
Lip fillers are safe and effective for many people, but they are not suitable for individuals with conditions such as the following:
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding. Avoid fillers if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Allergies or sensitivity to filler or other ingredients. If you are allergic or sensitive to hyaluronic acid, you should avoid fillers that contain it. You should also avoid fillers that contain other ingredients to which you are allergic or sensitive, such as lidocaine in Restylane Kysse.
- Acne or skin infections. Resolve the skin problems before having fillers injected.
- Auto-immune disorders. Discuss any auto-immune disorder with your practitioner beforehand.
- Blood-thinning medications. Discuss your use of any blood-thinning medication with your practitioner beforehand, because such medication can increase the risk of bleeding or bruising from the injections.
Consult your practitioner for advice about further contraindications.