Is a Brazilian Butt Lift safe?
When performed by a very experienced and qualified surgeon, Brazilian Butt Lifts can effectively lift and define your bum, offering a more natural-looking alternative to silicone implants. However, it is also a highly risky procedure, involving both liposuction to remove fat from one area and it’s careful transfer to your bottom. In fact, by some estimates, BBLs carry one of the highest risks of all cosmetic surgeries – with around one death occurring per 13,000 procedures.
That means many plastic surgeons in the UK do not believe BBL results are worth the risk, with the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (BAAPS) recommending surgeons only carry out a procedure called superficial gluteal lipofilling (SGL). This is where the collected fat is only injected below the skin, not deep into the muscles, while guided using ultrasound scans to give surgeons a visual insight of where they are injecting.
Can you get non-surgical bum lifts?
Yes – and in fact, a BBL is technically a non-surgical procedure (although it can be quite invasive), compared to the surgical solution offered by silicone implants. However, it isn’t the only non-surgical bum lift option – and others may offer somewhat of a lower risk profile. These include ultrasound and radiofrequency treatments for toning, tightening and lifting the area, as well as injectable fillers – a growing category for the body. These are described in more depth under the question ‘How can I have my bum lifted?’
Can skincare help lift and shape your bum?
Skincare products – especially those that moisture and exfoliate – can help improve the overall quality of the skin on your body, by making it appear a little smoother and plumper. However, while some products may also have a slight tightening or firming effect, skincare is unlikely to significantly lift or shape your bum permanently, even when used consistently.
How can I have my bum lifted?
Aside from BBLs, there are a growing number of non-surgical options for lifting your bum that you may want to try. They are listed below, alongside any safety considerations you should keep in mind:
1. Dermal filler: Dermal fillers are traditionally known for their use in the face, but there are brands innovating to bring filler for the body to the market. Lanluma is a leading example. It’s a dermal filler that instead of being made of hyaluronic acid that ‘fills up’ an area, uses Poly-L-lactic acid (PLLA) particles. When injected, these work deep within the skin to activate your body’s collagen production, reshaping and volumising your bum for a natural-looking lift. But, as you are still injecting an area that is prone to infection and vascular compromise, it can still have severe consequences. So, you should only ever see a highly-trained practitioner, and think carefully before taking the leap.
2. HIFU: Known for its skin-tightening effect, High-Intensity Focussed Ultrasound – and specifically Ultherapy – can be used to achieve a non-surgical butt lift. The ultrasound energy heats the targeted tissue, causing controlled injuries that stimulate collagen production deep within your skin, tightening and lifting it over time. Your results are gradual and require multiple sessions, but it is has a lot less downtime than BBL or dermal filler.
3. Radiofrequency: RF devices specifically use radiofrequency energy to heat the skin’s deeper layers, stimulating collagen production and providing a tightening effect that lifts and smooths your bum. Examples include BTL’s Exilis Ultra360, Endymed Body, Tempsure Envri, and Accent Prime that combines radiofrequency with ultrasound to tackle sagging.
4. HIFEM: High-intensity focused electromagnetic technology can also be used to trigger contractions in the muscle tissue to build muscle mass and tone your bum, improving its overall appearance. A leading example is the body sculpting device Emsculpt Neo by BTL Aesthetics.
5. AirSculpt: While AirSculpt is predominately a fat reduction technique, the fat that it removes, such as from the stomach, can then be transferred to areas like the bottom to enhance volume and tighten the skin should you wish. As with BBLs though, the injection of fat back into your body must be done carefully, as it can be life-threatening if it is injected into the bloodstream by mistake.